Saturday, May 10, 2008

I need some advice (household stuff)

Can anyone out there recommend a decent dish drainer thingy that catches the water?

Here's my dilemma:
I have one of those old fashioned types of dish drainers. Rubbermaid stuff, you know?
rubbermaid-drainertraydishdrainer
I've tried a couple of the more modern, stylish ones, but there's always something I don't like about them. So, I go back to the old kind that we always had when I was growing up.

So here's the dilemma part. Rubbermaid makes an OK piece to hold the dishes, but the part that collects the water is made from such flimsy plastic these days that the edges bend down, causing the water to drip off onto the counter. Which annoys me.

Here's what I want in a dish drainer:
-big and sturdy enough to hold lots of dishes, especially pots and pans
-the water collector can drain into the sink (maybe I should be flexible about this one?)
-little thingies to hold the glasses outside of the rack
-a silverware holder
-must have a tray, as it has to go on the counter, as I don't have a double sink (still the original kitchen, yes, it needs to be remodeled, but not going to happen soon...)

I'm not crazy about Rubbermaid much at all anymore, anyway. Call me weird, but I also don't like all this "Microban" stuff that everyone is putting into every product nowadays. I don't understand why I would need something to kill bacteria on my dish drainer tray. I mean, the dishes I put in the drainer are clean, right? And the tray is just catching water, right? So, if my (clean) water has so much bacteria in it, then I really shouldn't be using it to clean my dishes or drink...?

Maybe it's time to branch out, be less picky, I don't know, but I'm tired of being annoyed by my dish drainer. Does somebody make one that's not annoying? I would love some suggestions if anyone has any. (I'm open to completely changing what I do, too.) Maybe I should get a new sink that has a built-in drainer...? Again, have to wait to redo the kitchen.... Alas!

1 comment:

blackbird said...

Have you looked at those stainless ones at Blood Bath and Beyond?
They are expensive but I've read that people love them.